Saturday, October 08, 2011

Sharehousing




It's all fun and games, until you find yourself face to face with a plughole full of your housemate's hair, or you are woken up at 5:30 am every morning by their kids. It's then that I begin to think that I am really too old for sharehousing, even in the short term.

See, I'm old, I'm set in my ways. I like my kitchens clean and my drains unblocked. I like the option of sleeping in on weekends. I'm tired of picking up coughs and colds that the little kids bring home. In many respects what it comes down to is that I just want to do things MY way. On the other hand it's a really nice companionable relationship when it works, and it is meant to be just for the short term. I guess all these early mornings have impacted on my sang froid, and I'm feeling a bit tired and crabby.

This will be the second time I have broken my vow never to live in a sharehouse again. First there was Tonga (and wasn't moving house 5 times over there so much fun!), now there's WA. Once I am settled out of the current situation (however that eventuates) I won't be making any more hasty promises about whether or not I attempt sharehousing in the future. I know better now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yep - share housing is for the years 18-25ish I think!I even have problems sharing my space with the person I married...Even when I share housed I think I tended to get a little bit retentive and passive aggressive and just do all the cleaning so I didnt have to yell at people to throw out all the used loo paper tubes or, as you say, clean their hair out of the plughole *shudder*